How to capture user actions

I am working on a project where the system is being redesigned and I am interested in capturing the customer domain knowledge to enable us to write useful acceptance tests.

My initial thoughts are that they capture a sequence of actions that we then turn into a higher level BDD example maps.

I am interested to know how people have captured customer interactions before

There is a line of thinking that tells us using the word “test” is miss-leading and inaccurate, and that we should replace it with the word “checking”. Well, what are we checking? We are checking the quality surely. Context and audience always influences the QA engineer who is listening well and observing at all times.

Quality, is thus all of the things that hold value for someone, at some point in time. (I have stolen this definition, but it’s worked well for me for almost a year now, and I fully expect that to change.)

So to me checking is not a single activity, but an evolving process that reports on quality, and is sensitive to business constraints and all external changes. Sorry, but there really are as many definitions as there are contexts.